Abdominal obesity was found in almost 60% of the U.S. Population in 2016. The prevalence has significantly surged over the years. Belly fat happens due to multiple reasons such as stress, poor lifestyle, genetics, and inactive regime. The accumulation of excess fat around and below the waist results in a lethal impact on overall health. It further contributes to medical issues like diabetes, stroke, hypertension, heart disease, etc.
Belly fat should be taken seriously. Regardless of your gender, abdominal fat should be worked upon. A great way to put an end to serious health complications down the line is by doing yoga to burn belly fat.
While you may get overwhelmed at the thought of the strenuous workouts, yoga is comparatively manageable (if not easier). After all, constant efforts will bring groundbreaking results. Take a look at how yoga helps burn belly fat.
Carrying around extra kilos in the body makes it sluggish. This leads to constant lethargy, disturbed sleep schedule, emotional eating, anxiety, and a clouded mind. Yoga helps in curing and reversing the effects of obesity. With yoga, you not only work on burning fat but transforming your health for the better and a newly-found self-confident image.
The intensity at which yoga is performed is equivalent to the burn you feel after a high-intensity cardio workout without the extreme exhaustion. Stubborn belly fat can be effectively targeted with the help of yoga.
The following are the best yoga asanas for belly fat
This is also called the “cobra pose”. It mainly targets the fat in the abdomen and surrounds it. Apart from that, it strengthens your back, helps in boosting metabolism, and burns rigid calories. Here’s how to do it:
- Take the prone position on a mat. The pose requires you to maintain some space between the legs throughout.
- The resting posture should have your arms on the sides.
- Begin by slowly placing your palms underneath your shoulders.
- Slowly lift your upper body while gently inhaling. Tilt your head slowly while your head points upward. Try to bend backward as per your comfort.
- Keep the lower body firm and keep the position still for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Now, exhale while you slowly get back on the floor.
- 10 reps of cobra pose is a good count for a beginner. Once trained well, work up to 30 reps.
Also known as “seated forward bend”, this asana is among the best poses for toning your tummy. The stretch works excellent on your thighs, hips, and hamstrings. Here’s how to do it:
- Start with sitting in a meditation pose. Make sure your back is straight.
- Once comfortable, stretch your legs straight out.
- Inhale deeply and extend your hands above your head. Make sure never to bend the elbow. Your head movement should align with your hands.
- While you exhale, try touching your toes by bending forward. Try resting your head on the knees. If you are not experienced, start touching your thighs, shins, or ankles.
- If you can touch your toes, try to hold the position until you feel your hamstrings stretch.
- While you hold the position, keep your breath uniform. Exhale while you release and slowly move upwards.
This is also regarded as a boat pose. This asana will, without a doubt, give you a flat belly. It is so effective that you will feel the burn with muscle contraction. Here’s how to do it:
- Stretch out your legs and lie straight on your back.
- Take a deep breath and slowly lift your upper and lower body in the form of a “V” with your arms stretched against your legs.
- Feel the contraction when you hold the position. 30 to 60 seconds is excellent, to begin with.
- Slowly exhale and lie down on your back.
- Work up to 30 times once you’re experienced.
- Surya Namaskar
Surya Namaskar or Sun salutation pose is a conflux of 12 yoga poses that individually influence the whole body. The stretches, bends, and breathing techniques help burn fat and detox the body.
- Get started in a standing pose keeping your feet together.
- Gently inhale while lifting your hands. Have your arms positioned in a prayer position as you exhale.
- Now, inhale and bend backward while you raise your arms. Next, exhale and stretch forward. Bend until your forehead touches the knees.
- Next, have your palms touch the floor with your left knee bent, and your right leg stretched backward.
- Making a downward dog pose (Adho Mukha asana), get on your toes and form an Ashtanga Namaskar. This is where your torso is against the floor, and your hips are slightly elevated.
- Moving on, make an upward-facing dog, and stretch forward while gently inhaling.
- As you exhale, get back to the downward dog position with your hands on the floor.
- Gently inhale while moving your right leg between your arms as you stretch upwards.
- Slowly inhale as you move your left leg ahead.
- Gently stretch backward and back to a standing position.
Also known as Bow pose, this asana is the perfect tummy toner. It burns your belly fat while improving your posture. Here is how to do it:
- Lie flat on the mat, taking the prone position. Legs should be placed together.
- Elevate the knees upwards while bending them. Exhale deeply while you do it.
- Move backward while lifting your head.
- While your hands are positioned backward, try holding your ankles.
- Have your abdominal muscles handle the body weight. While you inhale, elevate your knees slightly.
- Hold the position for 25 to 30 seconds. As you master it, extend it to 50 to 90 seconds.
- Stretch your body while slowly relaxing and exhaling.
- Do 10 reps of this asana and as you master it, do 30 reps slowly.
There you go! Five Yoga Asanas are all you need to burn stubborn belly fat. As long you do them regularly, belly fat will go before you know it.