Yoga is a form of art and meditation that helps to ease our body and calm our mind. Iyengar yoga is a form of yoga that involves the use of props to develop and hold postures. Blocks are one of those props that help to gain support, balance, and strength whenever needed.
We’ve listed the top techniques for creating your own DIY yoga block in this article. These are easy to make and useful.
Yoga Blocks From Cardboard
Because of the rise in the popularity of online shopping, it is no surprise that every household has a few cardboard pieces lying around their homes.
Things you’ll need:
- Utility knife
- Duct Tape
Steps to make yoga blocks from cardboard:
- On a piece of paper, create an outline (oval-shaped) of a suitable size. If you need size guidelines, 14×7 would be ideal. This will be our template.
- Mark the length and height from the middle of the template paper.
- You may choose to use a serving tray to create the outline.
- Now using this template, mark the outlines on the cardboard.
- You do not need to worry about the creases but try that these creases bend at different parts to ease the further process.
- If you are using cardboard with a thicker density, consider using a utility knife instead of scissors.
- Stack the pieces of cutouts and, using the utility knife, even out the edges.
- Now take duct tape and wrap it around the middle of the stack, then round the edges by slowly rolling your stack on the ground.
- Once the stack is even, stick two pieces of duct tape around the ends to secure the block-like structure.
- After this, take your duct tape and wrap it all around the rough ends.
- Cover your cardboard pieces once you have covered the edges completely.
- Wrap a single piece of duct tape to smooth any rough parts.
- Decorate according to your style (optional).
Yoga Blocks From Redwood
If you want to make a yoga block that is more durable, this method will work best for you. Also, remember that redwood is denser and heavier than usual yoga blocks.
Things you’ll need:
- Measuring tape
- Chalk or Pencil
- Sandpaper or Sander
- Protective Gear
Steps to make yoga blocks from Redwood:
- For this DIY method, you’ll need a wooden slab.
- Cut out about 4×6 inches of redwood. You can locate these wood pieces at your nearby hardwood retailer.
- You are also free to choose any other wood of your choice.
- At certain stores, you can ask them to trim the blocks as per specific dimensions. This will save you the time and effort of using a saw yourself, but it might cost a little extra.
- If you are making blocks yourself, use a template for dimensions and cut the wood accordingly.
- Now sand the edges. Make sure that there are no loose wood stings or sharp edges that can potentially harm you.
- You can choose to stain and varnish them if you want. This will not only help to give the block a better appearance but also act as a protective barrier.
- You can also wax the wood blocks to make them supple yet grippy.
Yoga Blocks From Foam Blocks
Foam blocks can act as great alternatives if you are thinking of supporting your arms, head, or back. These are soft yet sturdy, which makes them perfect to use for delicate parts of the body.
Things you’ll need:
- Utility knife
- Fabric Glue
Steps to make yoga blocks from foam blocks:
- Take a piece of paper and, using a scale or measuring tape mark its dimensions according to your preference.
- Cut the outline.
- Now, on a foam block, place this template and cut as per the outlines of the template.
- You can choose to tape down this template. This will help the paper stay in place and ease the process.
- Once you have done this, use a utility knife or scissors to cut the block.
- You can also heat the knife a little to glide it through the piece of foam.
- Once you have made your block, take a piece of cloth almost double in size and wrap it around the foam block.
- Secure the edges. You can create an envelope-like fold to fix the open ends of the fabric.
- Using a hot glue gun, secure the openings and let them dry. You may also use fabric glue.
- Once dried, you’ll be ready to use it.
Yoga Blocks From Cardboard Boxes
If you have a lot of cardboard boxes lying around at your home, do try to create these yoga blocks.
Things you’ll need
- Cardboard box
Steps to make yoga blocks from cardboard boxes:
- Collect 4 to 5 empty cardboard boxes, preferably small to medium in size.
- Yoga blocks are generally around 9x7x4 inches in diameter, so make sure that you use a box with similar dimensions. However, you are free to use a box that suits you the best.
- Stuff these boxes so you have a sturdy structure. This can be done by crushing newspaper or paper pieces into a ball shape structure and stuffing or just by using foam pieces.
- Make sure that you only fill the box up to a level where the box can still be closed.
- Once the box is filled, test it to ensure that the sides do not compress.
- Using duct tape, close the top of the box and wrap it around all the edges.
- Make sure that the box after the taping and stuffing is rectangular in shape.
- Wrap the box using duct tape in straight lines. Do not overlap the sides of the duct tape to avoid crowding or wrinkles.
- You can choose to wrap your box using different colored duct tape or decorative tape to add colors and designs to the block.
If you are someone who practices yoga on a daily basis, these blocks will help you at every step. You will not only be saving your money but also recycling and contributing to a sustainable environment using these DIY steps. Practice safe yoga and hold your asanas with these blocks!