Making your yoga mat is a fun and easy DIY project that can be completed in just a few hours. All you need is some basic materials and a little bit of time, and you’ll have a custom mat that’s perfect for your yoga practice. Unleash your creativity and learn the different ways of making your yoga mat by reading this article.
Why Use DIY Yoga Mats?
Well, one often thinks, why get into so much hassle when they can simply buy a readymade rubber yoga mat? The market mats might be easily available, but making your own yoga mat can help you contribute to a sustainable environment. When making a yoga mat, one can customize it as per their comfort and recycle old products.
Things you’ll need
- Fabric glue
- Old quilt or blanket
- Sewing machine
- Needle and thread
- Colour pens
- Non-slip fabric
Sewing Your Own Yoga Mat
Sewing is one of the best methods to make your own yoga mat. This not only gives a cleaner finish but is also long-lasting.
- Take a fabric of your choice, preferably with a softer yet grippy texture.
- Cut two pieces of fabric about 6×3 feet.
- Using chalk, mark a curve at the edges (outwards) and cut along the outlined area. This step is entirely optional.
- Place one of the fabrics on top of the other (outer side facing each other).
- Now with the help of a sewing machine or needle and thread, sew three sides together.
- Turn the fabric inside out so you have the fabric’s right side on the outer face.
- Fluff cotton inside this bag-like creation. Make sure that the cotton is evenly distributed and does not clump.
- Fold the edges of the unsewn fabric towards the inside and sew it.
- Check for any loose threads of unsewn parts and fix them.
Yoga Mat Without Sewing
To substitute the time-consuming sewing method, one can always create a dreamy yoga mat using fabric glues. These not only present a clean finish but also are long-lasting when maintained.
- Cut two pieces of fabric measuring about 6 feet in length and 3 feet in width.
- Face the right sides of these fabrics towards each other.
- Glue three sides, making it a pillow cover-like structure.
- Fluff it with cotton, ensuring that the structure remains flat.
- Fold the open side of the fabric inwards.
- Glue and close the open end of the fabric.
With this, your sew-free yoga mat will be ready to use.
Yoga Mat Using Quilt
Choose an old quilt or blanket with medium thickness and gather your supplies. Using this method, you can create a cushiony yoga mat for yourself.
- Take 6×3 feet of fabric and sew three sides of it.
- You can choose to keep some extra inches of fabric while cutting to give the final mat a nicer finish.
- Now, take an old blanket or quilt and cut it in such a way that it measures the same as the fabric (6×3 feet).
- Sew all the sides of the blanket, securing it completely.
- Now sew the three sides of the blanket, and from the open side, insert the quilt.
- Sew the open side and check for any other opening or loose threads.
- Add finishing touches, and your yoga mat will be ready-to-use.
DIY Twister Yoga Mat
Twisters are great for adding colors or even making your daily workout more interesting.
- Take a twister mat (medium-sized).
- Cut two pieces of fabric (6×3 feet) and sew three sides of it together.
- From the open side, insert a blanket or cotton and ensure that the surface remains flat.
- Sew the last side and lay your mat on a flat surface.
- Now take your twister and sew it on top of your mat.
- You can always draw colorful circles using a small plate if you do not have a twister mat.
DIY Non-Slip Yoga Mat
These mats are useful for practicing yoga on slippery floors and provide friction.
- Using any of the steps mentioned above, prepare your regular yoga mat.
- Take a non-slip fabric and cut it into pieces.
- With the help of fabric glue, attach these to the bottom of your mat.
- Let it dry to use for your yoga sessions.
Are DIY yoga mats portable?
Since these mats are either filled with blankets or cotton, they are completely light in weight. Thus, they provide excellent portability.
Do these yoga mats soak sweat?
Yes, these DIY yoga mats are excellent absorbents and will soak sweat during your sessions. In case you sweat a lot, normal yoga mats will not be suitable for you, and cotton-made mats can be a great alternative.
How thick should these mats be?
Depending on the yoga positions that one generally practices, the thickness of the yoga mat can be customized. A thicker yoga mat can provide better cushioning for knees, elbows, and other body parts but will decrease balance.
What measurements should I choose for my yoga mat?
Yoga mats vary in size according to the yogi’s needs. While making your own mat, you can choose any length. The regular yoga mats measure around 172cm x 61cm.
How can I contribute to the environment?
If you’re someone who enjoys supporting sustainable living or the environment, try to avoid plastic yoga mats. It is highly advised that one should either use fabric or rubber-made yoga mats as they are recyclable.
Is a yoga mat really necessary?
If you are someone who hardly practices yoga, you should not invest your time or money in a yoga mat. Beach towels, carpets, and rugs can be a great alternative to the mat. However, if you are a regular practitioner, investing in a yoga mat that is perfect for you is a must.
A yoga mat is a basic necessity for those who practice this art on a regular basis. There are many ways through which you can not only create your perfect yoga mat but also contribute to the environment.
These mats are sweat-absorbent and are also easy to clean. You can simply wash the mat to remove dirt and odors. So, simply start making your mat and add a personalized touch to your yoga practices!